- How to Use the VPN
- Desktop & Notebook Clients
- Mobile Device Clients
- Questions and Known Issues
- License Restrictions
- Barriers to Licensing Electronic Journals, Books, or Databases
- How to Remove the Proxy Configuration
- Contact Library Technical Support
- My Account
- Activate your library card
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Connect from Off Campus using the Proxy Server
How to Set Up Connection
The Client VPN will be upgraded on June 13, 2016. For current users of the VPN, your client should automatically update to the newest version when you connect. We encourage you to download and try the new clients before that date.
For users of the Web-VPN and Proxy-Server, those services will no longer be supported after the new Client VPN is released. Please download and install the appropriate Client before this date. Proxy-Server users will need to remove their proxy configuration.
A proxy server acts as an intermediary between your web browser and licensed web resources that control access by IP address recognition. To use the service, you must configure your web browser.
Only faculty, current students and staff are authorized to use the proxy service.
A UCD LoginID is a precondition for using the proxy service.
Make the following one-time (set and forget) changes before attempting the login procedure. If you use more than one browser, each must be configured for proxy service independently. If you complete the proxy preparation instructions for Internet Explorer only, make sure you follow the regular login procedure using Internet Explorer and search licensed resources with it. Entering configuration settings only in Internet Explorer as your computer's default browser will not enable Firefox to use the proxy service unless you also enter the appropriate settings in Firefox.
Regular Login Procedure:
We recommend that you start with the Authenticate Now button when you begin browsing.
Coping with Problems:
- Laptop connections
- Macintosh Computers
- Parental control software
- How to remove proxy server configuration
- HELP! I've tried and it's not working. Submit a Technical Support Request