Gender and the Presidential Election of 2008 (DHC)
Librarian Subject Specialist
- Marcia Meister
- Academic Search Complete [via EBSCO] (http://uclibs.org/PID/126936) VPN
- Academic Search Complete (ASC) provides coverage of multidisciplinary, full-text academic journals to support scholarly research in all areas of the arts, humanities and the social, life and physical sciences. The database includes the full-text articles from 9,100 journals, with an additional 13,690 journals indexed and abstracted. Searches can be restricted to peer-reviewed articles.
- Coverage: 1887-present
- CQ Researcher (http://library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/) VPN
- A database of in-depth, authoritative reports on a full range of political and social-policy issues extending back to 1923. Each report is footnoted and includes an overview, background section, chronology, bibliography and debate-style pro-con feature, plus tools to study the evolution of the topic over time.
- Date: 1923-
- Gender Watch (http://uclibs.org/PID/4741) VPN
- A full text database of publications that focus on the impact of gender across a broad spectrum of subject areas. Publications include academic and scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, regional publications, books, booklets and pamphlets, conference proceedings, and government, NGO and special reports.
- National Journal Group's Policy Central (http://nationaljournal.com/) VPN
- Comprehensive resource on politics and policy for the academic community. Includes: National Journal (non-partisan weekly journal on politics), Almanac of American Politics, The Hotline (tracks American politics and campaigns with coverage of each day's events), Ad spotlight (tracks televised political ads), CongressDaily (twice-daily insight on developments and key players in Congress), Markup reports (committee meetings on key bills), Technology Daily, Poll Track (database of over 5,000 public opinion surveys), Earlybird (the morning's top news stories and editorials), and Daybook (schedules of House, Senate and other events).
- Coverage: National journal 1977-; other coverage varies by section.
- PAIS International Database [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/pais/advanced) VPN
- Indexes all types of materials in the area of public affairs and public policy - journal articles, books and book chapters, reports, government documents. Topics include agriculture, banking, demographics, education, environment, finance, government, health, law, legislation, political science, social sciences, and statistics. Note that PAIS was formerly a CSA database and transitioned to a new interface via Proquest in August, 2012.
- Coverage: 1913-present
- Sociological Abstracts [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/socabs/advanced) VPN
- Sociological Abstracts Database is a primary resource for accessing the latest research sponsored in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database draws information from an international selection of over 2,600 journals and other serials publications, plus conference papers, books, and dissertations. Records added after 1974 contain in-depth and nonevaluative abstracts of journal articles.
- Coverage: 1963-present
- Women's Studies International [via EBSCO] (http://uclibs.org/PID/16677) VPN
- An interdisciplinary database combined from Women Studies Abstracts (1984-present), Women's Studies Database (1972-present), New Books on Women and Feminism (1987-present), Women of Color and Southern Women (1975-present), and several major bibliographies.
- Coverage: 1972 (and earlier)-present
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/wpsa/advanced) VPN
- Covers international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration policy
- Coverage: 1975-present
- New Proquest platform user guide (http://www.proquest.com/assets/downloads/products/userguide_np.pdf)PDF
Generic 12-page guide explaining the major ProQuest changes with the new August 2012 interface.
- Fact Sheet (http://md1.csa.com/factsheets/polsci-set-c.php)
- Help (http://www.csa.com/help/index.html)
- Access World News [via NewsBank] (http://infoweb.newsbank.com/resources/search/nb?p=AWNB&t=collection%3AAIN!Access%2BInternational%2BNews) VPN
- Access World News from NewsBank provides full-text information and perspectives from over 600 U.S. and over 700 international sources, each with its own distinctive focus offering diverse viewpoints on local, regional and world issues. Access World News also includes a selection of Spanish language newspapers from the United States and other countries. Date coverage varies with individual newspaper.
- Ethnic Newswatch (http://uclibs.org/PID/4737) VPN
- A full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press in the United States.
- Coverage: 1960-present
- C-Span (http://www.c-span.org/)
- C-Span coverage includes video of the debates as well as additional material.
- FactCheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/)
- Author: Annenberg Political Fact Check
- The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a nonpartisan, and nonprofit organization that seeks to monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by political players in ads, debates and news releases.
- Pew Research Center (http://pewresearch.org/)
- The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan "fact tank" that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It does so by conducting public opinion polling and social science research; by reporting news and analyzing news coverage; and by holding forums and briefings. It does not take positions on policy issues.
- Pollingreport.com (http://www.pollingreport.com/)
- An independent, nonpartisan resource on trends in American public opinion. Contains election poll data: campaign polls, media polls, academic polls, and polls by political, business and public-interest groups. Free resource.
- Women and Gender Studies (http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/ul/research/subjects/index.php?heading=32)