- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
University Library News
Winter Holiday Closure 2009 - 2010
December 18, 2009:
The UC Davis University Library buildings, except for the Blaisdell Medical Library in Sacramento, will be closed from December 24, 2009 through January 3, 2010 as part of the campus-wide Winter Holiday Closure. The Blaisdell Medical Library will ONLY be open Monday, Dec 28: 8am-5pm.
All libraries will reopen Monday, January 4.
The Libraries Hours web pages have been updated to reflect hours for campus libraries both before and after the holiday closure.
The following online resources will be available during the closure. Students, staff, and faculty must access restricted resources through the campus proxy server or VPN.
- Harvest: the UC Davis Libraries' catalog will be available for remote access throughout the closure period.
- Next-Generation Melvyl: The UC Libraries' catalog will be accessible throughout the closure; however requests for items from other campuses will not be processed until January 4.
- Databases A-Z
- Electronic Journals
Renewing and Recalling Items (including ILL items)
- Eligible UC Davis University Library materials may be renewed immediately using My Account/Renew Books in Harvest.
- Currently checked out ILL material may also be renewed using the My Account/Renew Books in Harvest. The titles of these loans are prefaced by the letters "ILL-".
- Keep in mind that even if material is renewed or due far in the future, all UCD loans are subject to recall if another researcher places a request. This rule applies to both local and ILL check-outs.
- Recall and Hold Request may be submitted via Harvest at any time. However, all requests received during the winter closure will be processed beginning January 4. We appreciate your patience for any delays.
- There are a number of options for returning items between Dec. 24 and Jan. 3. Materials borrowed from University Library units may be returned to any UC Davis University Library unit or to campus book return bins located at various locations around campus and at the Blaisdell Medical Library in Sacramento.
- Use My Account/Renew Books to access your account and renew items online to avoid overdue items. If items cannot be renewed online and are due shortly before or after the holiday closure, please return them in person to a library circulation desk prior to or immediately after the closure.
Limited online reference assistance will be available during the closure through our 24/7 Ask a Librarian online chat service. Please note, inquiries will be answered by librarians from non-UC academic libraries during this time. Questions referred to UC Davis librarians will be answered starting January 4, 2010 and will be answered in the order in which they were received. UC Davis students, faculty, and staff who send email inquiries or leave telephone messages during the closure period will start receiving replies on January 4, 2010.
- Course lists may be submitted via the online form at any time (Shields Library form / Health Sciences Libraries form). However, please be advised that due to the campus-wide winter holiday closure, course reserve submissions received after December 23, 2009 will be processed as quickly as possible and in the order received. Note that course reserve materials may not be available for student use until after instruction has commenced.
- Users may search the electronic reserves materials during the closure via the Course Reserves Website.
Interlibrary Loan Requests
- Requests may be submitted at any time, but those received December 24 through January 3, will be processed beginning January 4. We appreciate your patience for any delays.
- Due dates have been changed so that no items will be due during the closure period. However, if you would like to return items between December 24 and January 3, return book bins are located throughout the UCD campus.
- Renewals may be requested for Shields ILL items via the My Account/Renew Books service and will be processed beginning January 4.
NRLF requests may be submitted at any time, but those made after Dec. 23, may not be delivered until Wed, Jan 6, 2010.