Fowler, Herbert G. (1873-1960) Papers.
Collection Number: MC200
- In April 1898, Herbert George Fowler was enrolled as a Corporal of Company L of the First Regiment of the Illinois Infantry Volunteers to serve two years or the duration of the Spanish American War. He was discharged from service on November 17, 1898.
- Twenty-one letters written during the time of the Spanish American War. Written from April 30, 1898 to August 11, 1898, they detail the movements of Fowler's Company from camps in Springfield, Illinois to Chickamauga, Georgia to Picnic Island in Tampa, Florida and eventually to action in the trenches at Santiago. In the letters he describes the living conditions of the soldiers, the sickness that spread through the camps, his daily schedule, training exercises, the landscape, and the weather.
- Inclusive Dates
- Political Science
- Additional Collection Information
- Finding Aid on the Online Archive of California (http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt8v19q7v9)
- Many collections are stored offsite and need to be retrieved for your research visit. To begin the request process, researchers should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least seven business days before visiting. Please wait for confirmation that the collection is available before visiting.