Other Book Collections
Blanchard, Richard. Rare Book Collection
- History of this Collection:
- This collection is the general Special Collections Rare Book Collection,
named for University Librarian, J. Richard Blanchard (1912-1966). The
collection was brought together shortly after the establishment of the
Department of Special Collections in 1966. It began with the
Isaac Foot and
C.K. Ogden libraries. Resulting
from these collections the early strength of the Blanchard Rare Book
Collection was in religion, English history and literature. There was an
early effort to bolster the collection in the area of history of agriculture
and the natural sciences. Subject areas of strength that emerged early include
viticulture & enology and agricultural technology.
The history of California and American West were also important from the
beginning with an emphasis on the Central Valley and its surrounding regions.
- Overview/ Highlights of Collection:
- History of Agriculture and Agricultural Engineering, Literature,
History of Science (especially Biological Sciences), Food Sciences and
Culinary Arts, California and the American West, Religion (esp. 16th-18th
- Collection Strengths:
- History of African American Civil Rights Movement.
- African Americans in the history and culture of California.
- Related Collections:
- Michael and Margaret B.
Harrison Western Research Center Collection