- Endnote Overview
- EndNote Download
- EndNote Library
- Citations Into EndNote
- Citations Out from EndNote
- About Term Lists
EndNote Filters for Databases at UC Davis
- Request a Custom Class
- How do I...? Guides
- Library How To Videos
- "Where Do I Start" (tutorial)
- Endnote @ UC Davis
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Endnote @ UC Davis
EndNote is a bibliographic reference manager, one of several on the market today.
It is a great tool for academic research and publishing. Using Endnote, citations can be stored, searched and quickly inserted into research papers in the format of many scholarly journals. Endnote makes identifying and formatting citations for publications a breeze.
It is fairly easy to use with many of the online databases available to the UC Davis community and runs on Windows and Mac OS. It is also compatible with recent versions of Microsoft Word.
UC Davis now has a campus-wide license allowing all current UC Davis students, faculty and staff to install and use EndNote on computers at work and at home.
To download Endnote:
- Go to https://software.ucdavis.edu
- Sign in using your UCD Kerberos account
- Once logged in, click on Library in the left folder-tree menu
- Click on EndNote
- Scroll down and download the appropriate version for your computer operating system
- Note that during the installation of EndNote, all MS Office programs and anti-virus software must be turned off.
Looking for help with EndNote? The University Library hosts a variety of EndNote Workshops and information sessions throughout the year.
EndNote Friday @ Blaisdell Medical Library (Sacramento Campus)
Hosted by librarians at Blaisdell Medical Library, these drop-in office hours provide an opportunity to learn new tricks, improve workflows, ask questions, solve problems, and share challenges and successes with others. Want to take your EndNote software use to a new level? Please join us for these informal sessions.
Questions? Need a different date/time? Contact: Amy Studer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 916-734-0206.
|Fri||Jun 3||12:00pm-1:00pm||Blaisdell Library Collaboration Room 1106|
EndNote Introduction for Biological / Agricultural / Environmental Sciences Researchers
EndNote is a bibliographic management program which simplifies the process of generating bibliographies and reference lists. EndNote allows one to easily store, manage, and format references to any biological/agricultural/environmental science core style guide such as CSE, NLM, ACS, or APA or to any specific biological/agricultural/environmental journal style such as FASEB J, J Exp Biol, Plant Cell, J Agr Food Chem, or Front Ecol Environ. EndNote also helps you organize and easily retrieve publication PDFs.
This introductory class will cover: creating EndNote libraries; direct export of citations from biological/agricultural article databases; importing PDFs into EndNote; adding citations to your libraries; output styles; and Cite While You Write (using EndNote with Microsoft Word).
Questions? Contact Ruth Gustafson, email@example.com.
|Tue||Jun 7||3:00pm-4:30pm||Library Instruction Lab||register|
EndNote Quick Start @ Blaisdell Medical Library (Sacramento Campus)
Working on a research project? Discover how the magic of EndNote citation management software can save you time by collecting and organizing your research literature and adding references to your paper, using the style you need. Did you know that EndNote can effortlessly download many article pdfs for you? This class is intended for beginning EndNote users.
If possible, bring your laptop with EndNote x7 installed. For instructions: http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/instruc/research/endnote/
Questions? Need a different date/time or advanced EndNote consultation? Problems with installing EndNote? Contact: Amy Studer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 916-734-0206.
Directions for Education Building, Room 3205, UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/maps_directions/
|Mon||Jun 6||3:30pm-5:00pm||Education Building, Room 3205||register|
EndNote Training Videos
Below are training videos on the major elements of the EndNote Program. For more information, you are welcome to browse EndNoteâs full selection of training videos on YouTube by going to their channel, EndNote Training.
- EndNote: An Introduction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEgjyY4Oj4)
- A concise introduction to EndNote. Be aware that some of the material for NTU does not apply to UCD, but this should be obvious.
- Library Basics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqK3Gk15X20)
- Another basic introduction to EndNote.
- EndNote X6 Overview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlnvmDnPzs0&feature=plcp)
- Another introduction to the latest version of EndNote, most useful to previous users of EndNote who wish to see the new capabilities of the latest version.
- Attaching files (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1PFZYNFeQ&feature=plcp)
- A major issue. How to attach full-text files to your citation records.
- Direct Export with Firefox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_C0igCUp4&feature=plcp)
- One of the major methods for importing records into your EndNote library.
- Sharing References (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVnfZxECVw&feature=plcp)
- An important topic for working in groups with EndNote.
- CWYW Formatting the Bibliography (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1y7B3f5pAg&feature=plcp)
- One of the major functions of EndNote.
- Bibliographies Made Easy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjIgO5xKQd0&feature=plcp)
- More on bibliographies.
Have a question about Endnote? The following resources can provide support and information:
- EndNote Email Technical Support Request (http://endnote.com/contact/customer-support)
- EndNote provides email and phone support for questions related to using EndNote software.
- UCD IT Express (http://itexpress.ucdavis.edu/)
- Contact IT Express to receive support downloading and installing EndNote on your computer.
- University Library EndNote Email Service Request
- The UC Davis University Library provides support for questions related to getting started using EndNote software with library research resources. Please use the EndNote email service request form and indicate your research subject area so the appropriate EndNote liaison can contact you.
Links & Resources
- EndNote LibGuide A tutorial on the major functions of EndNote.
Instructions for Importing Citations into EndNote
The latest version of EndNote for which the filter instructions apply is posted next to each platform. EndNote Web operates independently of version updates.
Resources from Endnote
Alternative Citation Managers
Below are open source technologies for citation managers that represent alternatives to EndNote. Be aware that they are not supported by UC Davis. For additional questions, please contact the librarians listed for each.
Mendeley is a free reference manager and online, academic social network that organizes your references and PDFs, builds citations and bibliographies, enables collaboration with other researchers, and facilitates networking and discovery of other papers, people, and research groups. As a resource, Mendeley contains over 100 million papers and allows you to create your own researcher profile that can be available for others to discover. It is available both as a desktop program and an online website, which are designed to complement each other.
It is also possible to upgrade your free account. With a free account, you have 2 GB of webspace and 1 private group that can have up to 100MB stored in it, and up to 3 users. For more information, visit: http://www.mendeley.com/upgrade/.
Contact: Matt Conner, email@example.com, (530) 754‑7348
Looking for an easy way to keep track of the resources you find on the web? The Zotero plug-in for the Firefox browser can help you collect, organize, cite, sync, and share information. Download it for free or check out the standalone version at www.zotero.org. Please see this tutorial to help you get started.
Zotero compared with similar products:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_reference_management_software)
- http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/content.php?pid=294548&sid=2418329 (http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/content.php?pid=294548&sid=2418329)