About Health Sciences Libraries
- PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?tool=cdl&otool=cdlotool)
- CAB Abstracts (http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&MODE=ovid&NEWS=N&PAGE=main&D=cabz)
- CINAHL Plus Full Text (http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost&defaultdb=ccm)
- Embase (http://www.embase.com/home)
- Electronic Databases A-Z
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Texts (select)
UCD Health Links
- School of Medicine (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/)
- School of Veterinary Medicine (http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/)
- UCDavis Health System (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/)
- VMTH (http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/)
- Ask Now (http://www.questionpoint.org/crs/servlet/org.oclc.home.TFSRedirect?Virtcategory=10975)
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
The C. John Tupper Bioethics Library Collection
The C. John Tupper, M.D. Bioethics Library Collection was formally initiated in 1994, concurrent with the recruitment for the UC Davis School of Medicine's endowed chair in bioethics. External support, through endowments and gifts, is essential to maintaining this collection of books and journals which extends beyond the basics of bioethics. UC Davis is very fortunate to have this edge in support of a discipline as important as bioethics.
Herlan O. Loyd, M.D., a retired Sacramento community physician with a particular interest in medical bioethics, along with his wife, Marjorie, provided the vision and initial funding for a collection in honor of Dr. Tupper, the first dean of the UC Davis School of Medicine. This crucial financial support enabled the Blaisdell Medical Library located in Sacramento with the UC Davis Health System's teaching hospital, to make regular and ongoing acquisitions in this field of study. The Blaisdell Medical Library is a branch of the UC Davis University Library.
The Tupper Bioethics Collection is available to faculty, staff and students at UC Davis, including the UC Davis Health System. It is also a rich resource available for consultation by the Sacramento medical community who may borrow materials from this and other library collections by becoming members of the UC Davis General Library's Library Associates.
C. John Tupper, M.D., Professor and Dean Emeritus of the UC Davis School of Medicine, was the School's founding dean. In 1966 at the invitation of Chancellor Emil Mrak, he left his position as Associate Dean of the University of Michigan Medical School, then the largest U.S. institution of medical education to take on the challenge of developing a new medical school. In Doctors and Scholars: Celebrating 25 Years of Excellence at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Dr. Tupper is quoted as responding that he was being asked to give up being first mate on the Queen Mary to be captain of a tugboat. Chancellor Mrak's characteristic reply was, "Yes, but this one will be nuclear-powered!" Dr. Tupper presided over the School's development from its "birth" to its "adolescence" until 1979 when he retired. He continued to play an active role in the School and the University until his death in January 1999.