More Circulation Information:
- General Information
- Abuse of Library Privileges
- Confidentiality of Records
- Lending Regulations
- Responsibilities of Borrowers
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
- UC Davis Open Access Fund
Shields Carrel Request Form
Patrons will be emailed within one week of application regarding carrel availability.
For questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Student Carrel Rules
The policy governing the use of graduate carrels in Shields Library has been established with the approval of the Academic Senate Library Committee. The controlled use of this space is essential to allow as wide a use as possible of the 35 available carrels.
- Graduate carrels are available first to registered Ph.D. students who have advanced to candidacy, then to other PhD candidates, and then to Masters students, depending upon availability. Students on PELP are not eligible for carrels.
- Assignments are made for one year to the nearest beginning of a quarter. At the end of the assignment, the occupant must vacate the carrel and return the key(s). After the key has been returned, the former occupant may be added to the waiting list.
- Assignments are made according to the waiting list kept in chronological order.
- Double assignments to a single carrel are possible, if the first occupant agrees to share.
- Library materials kept in carrels must be checked out to the occupant. Materials not checked out will be removed from the carrel and reshelved. Library security guards inspect carrels regularly. Failure to comply may result in forfeiture of the carrel.
- The Library is not responsible for theft of or damage to personal materials or library materials in the carrels.
- Smoking, food and drink in un-approved containers are not permitted.
- Calendars, posters, notices, etc. may not be affixed to walls or doors of carrels. It is a violation of safety regulations to cover the opening (door) of a carrel in such a manner as to obstruct vision. Failure to comply may result in forfeiture of the carrel.
- If the key is not surrendered by the date specified in the written notification, materials will be removed, the lock changed, and the carrel holder billed for any resulting charges.
- Loss of keys is subject to replacement costs, plus a non-refundable processing fee.
- Internet access will be via the wireless network.