Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences — Social Sciences
Librarian Subject Specialist
- Juri Stratford
- email@example.com — (530) 752‑9783 — Humanities, Social Sciences, and Government Information Services (http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/hss/)
- Restricted to UC Davis Campus and authenticated VPN/Proxy users
- Library Use or On-Campus Use Only
- Click on VPN to
access resource via Library VPN (requires Kerberos login)
Subject Specific Databases
- Communication Abstracts [via EBSCO] (http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost&defaultdb=cax) VPN
- Containing over 235,000 records, Communication Abstracts covers major journals in communication, mass media, and other closely-related fields of study to create a research and reference resource that encompasses the breadth of the communication discipline.
- Coverage: 1978-present
- Communication Abstracts
HUM & SOC SCI REF P87 C58
Print edition of Communication Abstracts.
- PsycINFO [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/psycinfo/advanced) VPN
- PsycINFO is a department of the American Psychological Association (APA). It provides citations to articles in professional journals, conference proceedings, books, reports, dissertations and even important internet sites in psychology and related disciplines, most with abstracts and some citations. (Psychinfo is the incorrect spelling.)
- Coverage: 1840-present
- Sociological Abstracts [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/socabs/advanced) VPN
- Sociological Abstracts Database is a primary resource for accessing the latest research sponsored in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database draws information from an international selection of over 2,600 journals and other serials publications, plus conference papers, books, and dissertations. Records added after 1974 contain in-depth and nonevaluative abstracts of journal articles.
- Coverage: 1963-present
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts [via Proquest] (http://search.proquest.com/llba/advanced) VPN
- "CSA Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA) abstracts and indexes the international literature in linguistics and related disciplines in the language sciences. The database covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Complete coverage is given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from over 1,500 serials publications, and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, and dissertations."
- Coverage: 1973-present
- Fact Sheet (http://md1.csa.com/factsheets/llba-set-c.php)
- Help (http://www.csa.com/help/index.html)
- Academic Search Complete [via EBSCO] (http://uclibs.org/PID/126936) VPN
- The multi-disciplinary database Academic Search Complete (ASC) provides full-text access to more than 5,500 periodicals, including over 4,600 peer-reviewed journals, and indexing and abstracts for an additional 9,500 journals and 10,000 publications, including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. This scholarly collection offers coverage of information in many areas of academic study including, but not limited to: animal science, anthropology, area studies, astronomy, biology, chemistry, civil engineering, electrical engineering, ethnic & multicultural studies, food science & technology, general science, geography, geology, law, materials science, mathematics, mechanical engineering, music, pharmaceutical sciences, physics, psychology, religion & theology, veterinary science, women's studies, zoology and many other fields. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1887, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
- Coverage: 1887-present
- PubMed (http://uclibs.org/PID/17708) VPN
- Citations and abstracts for articles published in approximately 8,400 journals in medicine, life sciences, health administration, veterinary medicine, nursing, molecular biology and genetics. PubMed is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Coverage: 1946-present
- Sage Full Text: Communication Studies Journals (http://online.sagepub.com/cgi/search?src=sagecoll&collection_set=COMM)
- Search the full text of twenty journals in the broad field of Communication. All journals published by Sage.
- Highwire Search and Retrieve (http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/search) VPN
- Highwire Search and Retrieve is a search engine that allows one to search through the full text of numerous scholarly and peer-reviewed journals, including many that are accessible from the UC Davis IP address or proxy server. The collection contains Duke University Press, Oxford University Press and Sage Electronic Journals, as well as many other university press journals and important academic society publications. Highwire Press is a product of Stanford University.
- Taylor and Francis: collection of online journals. (http://www.tandfonline.com/search/advanced) VPN
- Advanced search interface for nearly 1000 online journals published with the Routledge, Taylor & Francis, and Psychology Press imprints. Browse list of titles available. Disciplinary scope and coverage vary.
- Project Muse: Scholarly Journals Online (http://uclibs.org/PID/31861) VPN
- Project Muse provides full text access to hundreds of journals in the arts, humanities, social sciences and mathematics. It is useful for searching interdisciplinary cultural studies topics. Its full-text search engine permits finer-grained searching than any other index for these journals. Coverage varies by journal.
Guides to Electronic, Print, and Other Resources
- Library Resources for Communication Studies (EBSS) (http://wikis.ala.org/acrl/index.php/LRCS)
- This site is a springboard that librarians, students, and researchers can use to find information in the area of communication studies. It is not exhaustive, rather it includes the core or primary resources within each category presented. The resources included within this site were selected by communication studies librarians serving as members of the Association of College and Research Libraries Educational and Behavioral Sciences Section Communication Studies Committee.
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- International Encyclopedia of Communication
- The International Encyclopedia of Communication features 1,339 newly-commissioned A-Z entries, divided into 29 editorial areas representing major fields of inquiry, each of which is headed by a leading expert in their respective field spanning the breadth of communication studies, including coverage of theories, media and communication phenomena, research methods, problems, concepts, and geographical areas.
- Location: Humanities & Social Sciences Reference Collection P87.5 I58 2008
- International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- This 26 volume encyclopedia for the social and behavioral sciences contains lengthy articles on a wide array of social and behavioral science topics including, economics, sociology, & psychology. It contains biographical information, bibliographies, and a comprehensive subject index. It is available in print.
- Date: 2001
- Location: Shields Library, Hum/SS Ref. H41 I58 2001
Handbooks & Tables
- Polling [via NationalJournal.com] (http://www.nationaljournal.com/polling) VPN
- National Journal Online's polling file reports on the latest polls and survey results.
- Harris Poll Interactive (http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris%5Fpoll/index.asp)
- Findings of Harris Poll surveys from 1998 onward with analysis and commentary. Also offers the opportunity to participate in online polling, as well as links to Harris Interactive corporate information.
- Coverage: 1998-present
- Print edition of Harris Poll is located in Shields Library Humanities/Social Sciences Reference HN90.P8 H31 (1990-present)
- Latin American Public Opinion Project (LAPOP) (http://www.lapopsurveys.org/)
- The Latin American Public Opinion Project (LAPOP), hosted at Vanderbilt University, links to over 60 academic studies based on survey research conducted mainly in Latin America. The LAPOP surveys analyze citizen views on topics that range from system support and political tolerance, to citizen participation, local government, corruption, and views on authoritarianism. To date surveys have been conducted and are now being archived for: Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela as well as for Madagascar, Israel and Albania.
- Library Research in the Social Sciences Tips Handout (http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/hss/files/libraryresearch-socialsciences.pdf)PDF
- This research tips handout introduces the basic research tools for Library Research in the Social Sciences at UC Davis. It provides a basic description of Catalogs and Databases, search strategies and the display of records.
- Date: 10/01/2006