- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- My Account/Renew Books
- Activate your Library Card
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Copyright & Intellectual Property
- Scholarly Communication
Japan: The Cascade of Crises
Library News Databases
Access to these licensed resources is available on the UC Davis campus; UC Davis faculty, students and staff may access the databases by using the VPN and a Kerberos password
- Access World News (http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/InfoWeb/?p_action=explore&d_search_type=keyword&d_sources=location&d_place=world&d_issuesearch=&f_clearSearch=yes&d_issuesearch=&p_product=AWNB&p_theme=aggregated4) includes newspapers published throughout the world; searches can be restricted to large geographic areas, to a specific country or to an individual newspaper.
- Factiva (http://global.factiva.com/sb/default.aspx?lnep=hp) emphasizes business news appearing in international newspapers.
- LexisNexis Academic (http://www.lexisnexis.com/us/lnacademic/) includes coverage of many U.S. and foreign newspapers and transcripts of television and radio news programs.
- Proquest Current Newspapes (http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=403&COPT=SU5UPTAmREJTPTM@&JSEnabled=1&TS=1074627928&DBId=G5&cfc=1#sform) (Los Angeles Times, New York Times and the Wall Street Journal)
Japanese Newspapers and News Sources
several of these newspapers link to Facebook and Twitter accounts that offer additional photos and reports.
- NHK World (http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/) — English language site that provides updated news online and links to the NHK radio and television.
- 河北新報 (http://www.kahoku.co.jp/) — Sendai newspaper.
- 福島民報 (http://www.minpo.jp/) — Fukushima newspaper.
- Asahi Shimbun (http://asahi.com) (English-language version (http://www.asahi.com/english/))
- MSN (http://feature.jp.msn.com/eastjapan_quake/index.htm) (English language translation (http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=ja&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Ffeature.jp.msn.com%2Feastjapan_quake%2Findex.htm))
- Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/)
- Nikkei Shimbun (Japanese language edition) (http://www.nikkei.com/news/article/g=96958A88889DE0E6EBE2E2EBE3E2E3E0E2E1E0E2E3E3E2E2E2E2E2E2) (English language edition (http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/freetop.aspx))
- Daily Yomiuri Online (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/)
- The Japanese Times (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/tohoku-kanto-earthquake-news.html)
Japanese Television Stations on Ustream:
Other News Sources
- USGS earthquake maps (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Asia_eqs.php) with data from earthquakes and aftershocks.
- Wikipedia (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_earthquake_and_tsunami) page links to variety of maps from the areas damaged by the earthquake and tsunami.
- University of Texas Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/) links to many online maps, including maps published by governments, organizations and news sources.
- Harvard University, Harvard Center for Geographic Analysis (http://cegrp.cga.harvard.edu/japan/?q=content/home) — Japan Sendai Earthquake Data Portal.
Disaster Relief and Preparedness
- Google Crisis Response Web Page (http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html), a portal to maps, updates, message boards, local information and links to disaster relief agencies.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Disaster Information Management Research Center (http://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/japan2011.html) links to information about the Japanese earthquake, tsunami and nuclear emergency, as well as to recommendations for disaster preparedness and response in general.
- World Nuclear News (http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/) post frequent updates about the changing conditions in the Japanese nuclear plants.
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/index.php?region=0)
If you need assistance using library resources or in locating library books, journal articles or maps for background information, please contact one of the following numbers:
- Shields Library Reference Desk, (530) 752‑9862, email@example.com
Physical Sciences & Engineering Library Reference Desk,
(Contact the PSEL Library for more information about maps.)
- Carlson Health Sciences Library Reference Desk, (530) 752‑7042, firstname.lastname@example.org