- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
Facts About the University Library
The UC Davis University Library consists of the Peter J. Shields Library, the Physical Sciences & Engineering Library, the Carlson Health Sciences Library, and the Blaisdell Medical Library in Sacramento.
- Peter J. Shields (1862-1962) was a Superior Court judge who authored the legislative act that established the UC Davis campus.
- There are 167 FTE employees, including students, in the University Library.
- Shields Library has approximately 2.6 million bound volumes and the University Library has more than 4 million volumes.
- There are approximately 64,000 active current serials in the University Library.
- The Library collaborates with the other nine UC campus libraries and the California Digital Library on systemwide library services such as the Melvyl catalog.
- Shields Library has seating capacity for 3,391.
- The Egghead sculpture in front of Shields Library was created by former UC Davis Art Department faculty member Robert Arneson (1930-1992).
- The black and white photographs throughout Shields Library were donated by the California Historical Society and were taken from the book: Conrat, Maisie, and Richard Conrat. The American Farm: A Photographic History. San Francisco: California Historical Society, 1977.