UCD Library Timeline: Collections

1924
1926
  • Library cataloging changed from Dewey to Library of Congress call numbers.
1950
1951
  • Library held 72,105 volumes in June 1951 according to the 1950-1951 Annual Report.
1956
  • Veterinary Medicine Library was made a branch of the library system.
1957
  • Food Technology holdings are transferred from UC Berkeley to Davis.
1958
1959
1961
1964
  • Government Documents Department is established.
1965
  • Rare books are transferred from Loan Desk to Reference Department.
  • Library Associates formed.
1966
1967
1970
1974
1975
  • Library holds 1.2 million volumes.
1976
  • Library holds 1.4 million volumes.
1978
  • Library holds 1.5 million volumes.
1979
  • Biological/Agricultural Sciences Reference Department was established.
  • Acquisition of Gary Snyder's papers begins.
1980
  • UC Davis became a member of the Research Libraries Group.
1981
  • Michael and Margaret B. Harrison Western Research Center became part of the University Library.
  • Conservation and Preservation Department created.
1986
1987
  • Endowment created the Margaret B. Harrison Preservation Department.
1988
  • Kenneth Kew Collection acquired.
    Wine merchant for Draper Esquine in San Francisco. Kew had been a student at UCD. The papers followed his career from his student days until his retirement.
1989
1990
  • Paul H. DeBach Papers acquired.
    DeBach's pioneering work in the field of integrated pest management and in the biological control of insect pests and weeds supports our collecting in entomology and organic farming. This was an instance of cooperation with UC Riverside (custodian of the collection) and the Entomological Society of America, Pacific Branch (scholarly group) in moving the collection to UC Davis where it could be more readily used.
  • King, F. H.
    Observations on crop and soil management methods and practices in China, Manchuria, Korea and Japan. Typed notes and original photographs taken in the field for the author's book, Farmers of forty centuries.
1991
  • "American Farm" exhibit acquired.
    The photographic panels that decorate the walls of Shields Library were an exhibit originally mounted by the California Historical Society.
  • Chinese Cookbooks collection acquired.
    Gardner Pond and Peter Hertzman donated their collections of Chinese cookbooks in English. This became the first collection searchable by provenance on MELVYL.
1994
  • Eastman's Originals Collection acquired.
    First image database created by the Library.
  • Japanese American Citizens League-Florin oral histories acquired.
    Cooperated with CSU Sacramento to provide MARC cataloging.
1996
1999
  • Sacramento Union Archives acquired.
    A substantial collection of late 20th century local history images.
2003
2005
2006
2008

Images (unless otherwise credited) are the property of the Regents of the University of California; no part may be reproduced or used without permission of the Department of Special Collections.