Materials Science Subject Guide
Library resources for the field of Materials Science
- Physical Sciences & Engineering
- A complete list.
- SciFinder [Registration Required, see below] (https://scifinder.cas.org/)
- SciFinder is the most comprehensive bibliographic database for scholarly research
in the field of chemistry. It contains over 29 million citations and indexes over
10,000 journals, covering all aspects of chemistry, including chemical aspects of:
biology and life sciences, engineering and materials science, food science, geology,
medicine, physics, and polymer science. SciFinder also allows searching of chemical
substances, chemical reactions, and includes some property data and spectra. It is
the online version of Chemical Abstracts. Cited Reference Searching: 1996 - present.
Coverage: 1907 - present (with selected pre-1907 material).
- Register for SciFinder (Required) (http://ucdavis.libguides.com/aecontent.php?pid=338298&sid=2766523#9638517)
- About SciFinder: On & Off-Campus Use, Troubleshooting & Help, Guides (http://ucdavis.libguides.com/scifinder)
- Java Plug-in required for structure searching (http://www.cas.org/misc/downloads/jreplugin.html)
- SciFinder can only be used by UC students, faculty and staff.
- Compendex is the most comprehensive bibliographic database of engineering
research literature, containing references to over 5000 engineering journals
and conferences. About half the citations (from 2600 journals and conferences)
include abstracts and indexing in the records. Coverage: 1884 - present.
- Citations from scholarly journals, conference proceedings, books, reports,
and dissertations in physics, electrical engineering and electronics, computers
and control, information technology and materials science. Coverage: 1898 - present.
- Electrochemical Society Digital Library
- Searchable online access to the various journals, books, and other collections
published by The Electrochemical Society. Includes full-text from the Journal of
The Electrochemical Society, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, and the ECS
Transactions. Coverage: varies, some full-text back to 1955.
- Materials Research Database with METADEX
This database has been canceled due to budget reductions, low use, and
- MRS Online Proceedings Library
- Features over 50,000 peer-reviewed papers presented at MRS Meetings.
- SPE Journal Database
- Search the 5 SPE technical journals and ANTEC Proceedings: Polymer Engineering & Science
(1996- present), Polymer Composites (1996 - present), Journal of Vinyl & Additive
Technology (1996 - present), Journal of Injection Molding Technology (1997
- present) , Journal of Applied Medical Polymers (1997 - present) and ANTEC
Conference Proceedings (1998 - present).
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of Materials Science and Engineering
- PSE Reference TA402 E53 1986
- Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering
- PSE Reference TP1087 E46 1985
- International Encyclopedia of Composites
- PSE Reference TA418.9 C6 E53 1989
Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology
- Also in print at PSE Reference TP9.E685 1991
Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry
- Also in print at PSE Reference TP9.U57 1985
Handbooks & Tables
- Alloy Phase Diagram Center Online
- The ASM Alloy Phase Diagrams Center allows users to explore, search and
view more than 11,000 binary and ternary phase diagrams and associated
phase data for more than 2400 systems.
- ASM Handbook
- Also in print at PSE Reference TA459 M43 1990
- Composite Materials Handbook, MIL-HDBK-17
Materials Science and Engineering Handbook
- Also:PSE Reference TA403.4 C73 1994
- Engineered Materials Handbook
- PSE Reference TA403 E497 1987
- Handbook of Nanostructured Materials and Nanotechnology
- PSE Reference TA418.9 N35 H36 2000
- Materials Science & Engineering
Laboratory: Materials Properties and Data
- MatWeb: the Online Materials
- McGraw Hill's Access Engineering (http://www.accessengineeringlibrary.com)
- 250 engineering handbooks and a dictionary, searchable and online
- MIL-HDBK 5 (rev. J)
- Metallic Materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures.
- Metals Handbook
- PSE Reference TA459 A5 1978
- Metals Handbook, Desk Edition
- PSE Reference TA459 M288 1998
- MMPDS-01: Metallic Materials Properties Development and Standardization (http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/courses/at308/Technical_Links/MMPDS/OptionsMenu.pdf)PDF
- (January 2003)
- MMPDS-04: Metallic Materials Properties Development and Standardization (plus change notice 1)
- (April 2009).
- Available on CD-ROM, ask for it at PSE Library Circulation Desk:
TL698 .M48 2009 CD-ROM
- NIST Materials Data Program
- Wood Engineering Handbook
- PSE Reference TA419 W78 1990