Government Mapping Agencies
California State Mapping Agencies
- California Department of Fish and Game, Biogeographic Data Branch - Data Products (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/biogeodata/)
- Description of products available including maps and GIS data
- California Geological Survey (http://www.consrv.ca.gov/cgs/)
- Agency that maps information on the geology, natural resources, and
geologic hazards of California.
- California Spatial Information Library (http://gis.ca.gov/data.epl)
- A series of GIS-related web pages to provide information on State
government GIS activities, access to statewide GIS data, and links to
the California GIS community
United States Federal Government Mapping Agencies
- Bureau of Land Management, Cadastral Survey (http://www.blm.gov/cadastral/)
- Cadastral survey and historical data on lands patented, along with
information on the mineral estate, resource conditions, and permits or
leases on Federal Lands
- Census Bureau, Maps and Cartographic Products (http://www.census.gov/geo/www/maps/)
- Publicly available printed maps, free downloadable maps, generalized,
digital files suitable for use with GIS, interactive on-line mapping,
and much more.
- Central Intelligence Agency Maps & Publications (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/cia-maps-publications/index.html)
- Some online maps and information on purchasing CIA's foreign maps.
- Federal Aviation Administration, National Aeronautical Charting Office (http://www.naco.faa.gov/)
- Information concerning the publishing and distribution of United
States government civil aeronautical charts and flight information
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, Flood Hazard Mapping (http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/index.shtm)
- Division responsible for maintaining and updating the National Flood
Insurance Program maps.
- Federal Geographic Data Committee (http://www.fgdc.gov/)
- Interagency committee composed of representatives from the Executive
Office of the President, Cabinet-level, and independent agencies for
developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) in
cooperation with organizations from State, local, and tribal
governments; the academic community; and the private sector.
- Fish and Wildlife Service, National Wetlands Inventory (http://wetlands.fws.gov/)
- Information about the Fish and Wildlife Service's wetland mapping
program, including an interactive mapping tool.
- Forest Service, National Forest and Grasslands Maps (http://www.fs.fed.us/maps/forest-maps.shtml)
- Information about availability and ordering Forest Service maps.
- National Geodetic Survey (http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/)
- Home page of NOAA's National Geodetic Survey (NGS) defines and manages
a national coordinate system that provides the foundation for
transportation and communication; mapping and charting; and a multitude
of scientific and engineering applications.
- National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA) Products & Services Available to the Public (http://egsc.usgs.gov/nimamaps/)
- Information on how to obtain NGA produced topographic maps, nautical
and aeronautical charts and other publicly available products.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of Coast Survey (http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/chartspubs.html)
- Nautical charts and related publications for the United States and
- Natural Resources Conservation Service, Soils (http://soils.usda.gov/survey/)
- Information concerning soil survey status, online soil surveys, and
downloadable soils data.
- United States Geological Survey (USGS) (http://ask.usgs.gov/1product.html)
- Geospatial data, information and links for information on USGS's
topographic maps, aerial photographs, geologic maps, etc.
- USGS Store (http://store.usgs.gov)
- Order USGS, US Forest Service, US National Park
Service, and National Geospatial-Information Agency Maps.
Foreign Government Mapping Agencies