- Subject Guides
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Recommend a Purchase for Collection
- Ask a Reference Question
- Ask a UC Librarian
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- My Account/Renew Books
- Activate your Library Card
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Copyright & Intellectual Property
- Scholarly Communication
Humanities & Social Sciences
About the UC Davis Theatre and Dance Collection
The University Library collects books, periodicals, microform, video, and other materials in support of the Theatre and Dance Department at UC Davis. This includes general performance research of interdisciplinary interest to researchers in Art, Film and Media Studies, Literature, History, and Rhetoric, among other related fields. Dramatic Art, stagecraft, and technical aspects of theatre are collected along with more theoretical and historical texts. History and theory in the areas of Gender Studies and Ethnic Studies are of particular interest, as are materials on contemporary political theatre in California and Europe. Vaudeville, puppetry, circus, and classical theatre performance are also covered in the collection scope. Some current collecting concentrations include Twentieth Century performance, East and South Asian theatres, and ethnic dance.
The library houses a number of video and audio performance recordings in Reserve Services (located on 1st floor Shields Library), where most can be checked out for up to three days. Other videos are located in the Instructional and Educational Technology Film and Video collection, and some audio recordings (particularly soundtracks) may be found in the Music Library; both of these collections have their own catalogs, which must be searched separately. The Special Collections Department at Shields Library is particularly rich in Theatre materials, and houses the Abbey Theatre Collection, the Woodland Opera House Archive, the Bread and Puppet Collection, the Living Theatre and Karl Bissinger Collection, and the Archives of both the San Francisco Mime Troupe and Squat Theatre.
Local Library and Research Sources
- UCD Library Theatre & Dance Subject Guide
- UCD Special Collections `in the Performing Arts
- Theses and Dissertations at UCDavis
- Online Archive of California (CDL)
- UCD Music Library
- San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum
- A Guide to Microform Research at Shields Library.
- Compiled by Elizabeth Austin and Opritsa Popa. University of California at Davis, 1984.
- Ask for this print guide to the microform collection at the Humanities, Social Sciences & Government Information Services Reference Desk. Though microform materials are catalogued, it can be difficult to find specific items. See also the general information page of the Microforms collection.