- Subject Guides
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Recommend a Purchase for Collection
- Ask a Reference Question
- Ask a UC Librarian
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- My Account/Renew Books
- Activate your Library Card
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Copyright & Intellectual Property
- Scholarly Communication
Humanities & Social Sciences
Full-Text Poetry Collections
There are many websites dedicated to full-text poetry, though most feature only materials that are in the public domain and therefore freely available. You can also find full-text poetry in Individual Literature Collections from LION (UC Davis Users only).
- Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts
- Online collection of public domain works from English and American literature.
- American Verse Project
- Compilation of American poetry published before 1920, including full text poetry of Dickinson, Sandburg, and more.
- Atlantic Monthly's Poetry Page
- Page maintained by the magazine to collect the poetry and articles published between 1995-present. Some poems also have audio files.
- British Poetry 1780-1910: A Hypertext Archive
- From University of Virginia Electronic Text Center, this full text collection of titles from various online sources gathers titles by major authors like Keats, Wordsworth, and Coleridge.
- British Women Romantic Poets, 1789-1832
- Provides searchable full-text SGML and HTML editions of volumes from the UC Davis Library's Kohler Collection.
- Find a Poem
- From the Academy of American Poets, this site allows keyword searching and browsing of over 12,000 poems online.
- Internet Poetry Archive
- Features selected contemporary poets' work, including Seamus Heaney, Robert Pinsky, and Margaret Walker.
- Online Books Page
- Enormous metasite with links to freely accessible literature online.
- Poet's Corner
- A general poetry source arranged by Author and Title, with broad subjects also available. Reprints selected poems, though little information is given concerning print editions or multiple versions.
- Representative Poetry Online
- From the U. of Toronto, a collection of over 2000 English poems from medieval period to the beginning of the 20th century. Indexes by poet, title, first line, date, and keyword.
- Walt Whitman Archive
- Extensive site dedicated to Whitman and his poetry. Also includes searchable bibliography and an early audio recording of the poet.
- William Blake Archive
- A hypermedia archive from the Library of Congress and other institutions that offers full-text editions of Blake's illuminated and non-illuminated works.
General Websites for Poets & Writers
- Academy of American Poets
- Features online poetry and information on major poets, as well as details on available awards and grants.
- Poets House Directory of American Poetry Books
- Searchable directory of American poetry published after 1990, with basic information and a descriptive review.
- Museum of American Poetics
- Page dedicated to multimedia poetics in American poetry. See the "links" page for more online archives.
- Yahoo Poetry Page
- Broad page with links to poetry sources, publishers, and international poetry.
- Alien Flower
- Free newsletter (you must sign up) featuring news, advice, and essays by successful contemporary poets.
- Electronic Poetry Center
- Extensive site from SUNY Buffalo, with links to e-poetry, major presses, and relevant organizations for poets and creative writing topics.
- National Federation of State Poetry Societies
- Non-profit organization that sponsors numerous annual poetry contests.
- Poetic Voices
- Online webzine with numerous articles, reviews, and information on contests & conferences.
- Poetry Society of America
- Includes information on contests and the national Favorite Poem Project. Use the "PSA Resources" link for information on major poetry journals/magazines, conferences, colonies, & festivals.
- Poetry Today Online
- Geared toward the Internet poet, this site serves as a resource directory and forum. Includes useful "how-tos" on publishing.
- Rhyming Dictionary
- Quick reference dictionary that will search for rhymes, synonyms, and more.
- Writer Beware
- Gives up to date news and warnings about fraudulent literary agents and unethical publishing practices.