- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- My Account/Renew Books
- Activate your Library Card
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Copyright & Intellectual Property
- Scholarly Communication
In response to the UC Davis Vision of Excellence and related planning activities (particularly the 2020 Plan and recent Blue Ribbon reports) the UC Davis University Library has developed a new Strategic Plan. The Plan identifies key areas for the Library to focus its efforts and resources, while continuing to provide the high quality research collections and academic services on which the entire university community depends. The world in which libraries function has been radically altered by technology and the digital research material, and by the rapidly changing behavior and expectations of our clients – particularly the UC Davis faculty and students. The transition of research and teaching collections and related services to the digital, networked environment continues at breakneck speed and if the Library is to continue to serve as the academic heart of the university then it must have clear strategic goals and priorities to inform its decisions and its work. Our Strategic Planning process has been open, inclusive and transparent while moving as swiftly as possible. We ask for feedback on the Plan at any time, and will update it at least annually as we gather feedback on its impact on the community.
Mission, Vision and Value Statements
Advance the community's success and impact through knowledge stewardship
The University Library advances the success and impact of the UC Davis community by providing access to, expert assistance with, and stewardship of recorded knowledge; by investing in environments conducive to study, learning, and collaborative research; and by collecting and stewarding its contributions to knowledge and society, i.e. the careful and responsible management of the record of scholarship done by UC Davis faculty and researchers, made globally available and preserved for the future.
The Library is the academic hub of UC Davis, advancing research, education and innovation in a networked world.
The UC Davis University Library will be an interdisciplinary resource for the entire community that enables transformative research and education through its provision of critical scholarship, tools and services.
We are a broadly collaborative and client-centered organization that values high quality scholarship, learning, and service to our community. We provide a work environment of integrity, respect and transparency, and a staff characterized by excellence, diversity, flexibility, and risk-taking.
Timeline and Future Activities
- Town Hall meeting to launch the Strategic Planning process [video] (http://uc-d.adobeconnect.com/p6wirxjhinj/)
- Strategic Planning Process Advisory Committee convened
- Surveys of faculty, undergraduate and graduate students
- Wiki launched and background readings provided to staff
- Interviews of key campus stakeholders outside the Library (e.g. the Provost, Academic Senate and Health Sciences Library Committee members)
- Election Proposition 30 outcome
- Planning Workshops for Library Staff
- Input from surveys, workshops, interviews collected
- Draft Plan developed by Library Administration
- Library organizational review
- Strategic Plan finalized and published, outreach commences
Library Town Hall Meetings
The Strategic Plan has been shared with Library staff and presented to various faculty, student and administration groups. We are now soliciting feedback from the community to inform revisions to the Plan and provide clarifications where needed. We will begin to implement the Plan this summer.
Optional Reading Categories
Forces of Change at UC Davis
- 2020 Initiative (http://chancellor.ucdavis.edu/initiatives/2020_Initiative/index.html)
- Budget reports (http://budget.ucdavis.edu/data-reports/budget-reports)
- UC Libraries Priorities for 2013-16 (http://uc-libraries-priorities-2013-2016.pdf)PDF
- UCLA Strategic Plan (http://www.library.ucla.edu/pdf/UCLA-LibraryStrategicPlan2012-19.pdf)PDF
- UC Berkeley Survey Report (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/AboutLibrary/Hart_Survey_Report_Re-Envisioning_UC_Berkeley_Library.pdf)PDF
- UC Irvine Library Task Force Report (http://www.evc.uci.edu/budget/Library%20Task%20Force%20Report.pdf)PDF
See Also (for Library Staff)
- Library Strategic Planning Process Steering Committee (Wiki) (http://staff.lib.ucdavis.edu/wiki/index.php/Library_Strategic_Planning_Process_Steering_Committee)
- How to use the Library Staff VPN